Control devices configured in 1Home Server with Google Home using local Matter integration.
Still in BETA: Read known limitations and issues
Google Home support for Matter bridges is close to be ready for professional installations, but a couple of issues still need to be fixed on the Google Home's side.
For smaller KNX installations, the integration already works well.
Make sure to read the section below describing currently known limitations for Google Home's integration of Matter bridges.
What is different in Google Home's Matter enabled app?
Google Home made two large improvements to their system when devices connect via the Matter integration:
- Execution of actions from the Google Home app is much faster since it is being sent locally (see it in the video below).
- More device types were added compared to traditional integration methods.
🎬 Video tutorial
Learn how to use Google Home with 1Home using a direct Matter integration.
Hub device is required
Since Matter runs completely locally a hub device is needed to keep a continuous connection to our 1Home Server and with that to KNX.
You can choose one of the hubs from the list below:
- Speakers: Google Home, Google Home Mini, Nest Mini, Nest Audio
- Displays: Nest Hub (1st gen), Nest Hub (2nd gen), Nest Hub Max
- Wi-Fi routers: Nest Wifi Pro (Wi-Fi 6E)
⚠️ Known limitations and issues
Last updated: October 27, 2023
Google Home team has made large improvements in their support for Matter bridges and large installations. They are aware of all of the below issues and we are assisting them to create the fixes. Just a couple of improvements are needed on Google Home's Matter integration side and it will be ready for large scale use with KNX.
- With larger installations sometimes the names of the devices are not imported to Google Home upon pairing. This is often automatically resolved if you re-add just a couple of devices (no need to re-add all of them). This triggers a new sync which also updates device names.
- Dynamically adding/removing devices in 1Home Server dashboard after the 1Home Server was already paired with Google Home often causes Google Home app to become unresponsive and not sync the updated devices. This is more prevalent when many tens of devices are bridged via 1Home Server.
- With larger installations, animations of e.g. on/off lights have delays and only update their state after about a second or two, even though the actual light was turned on instantly.
- With larger installations, from time to time Google Home app looses connection to the Matter device which makes it unresponsive for a short period of time.